Sometimes breakfast needs to be simple because it’s been a really long week and you just want to relax! That’s what this recipe is made for. #ChorizoAndChill
My first time cooking with chorizo was actually in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico during my first vacation with J. Most people probably avoid a kitchen like the plague while on vacation, but I guess we aren’t most people! It didn’t hurt that our kitchen had an unobstructed panoramic view of PV’s largest infinity pool and the ocean!
Chorizo is pork sausage that has been chopped up and marinated in a blend of delicious spices, particularly Spanish paprika. It’s popular in Mexican cuisine, and it gives any dish a special kick that’s kind of irresistible!
These quesadillas start off with cooking up the chorizo.
Chorizo Breakfast Quesadillas
8 oz pork chorizo sausage, uncased
4 flour tortillas
1 small tomato, diced
1/2 cup white onion, diced
3 green onions, diced
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 tbs butter
2 tbs vegetable oil
1 tbs milk
Fresh cracked black pepper
1. In a nonstick medium pan, sauté the chorizo over medium heat, breaking it up into small pieces with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Cook for 5 mins, or until heated through. Remove chorizo from pan, and set aside. Wipe out pan.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk eggs and milk together. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Add butter to the pan, and scramble eggs to desired level of doneness. Remove eggs from pan, and set aside. Wipe out pan.
3. Add 1 tbs vegetable oil to the pan, and add one tortilla once oil is hot. Top with 1/4 cup of cheddar. Allow cheese to melt for 1 minute, then top with 1/2 of the eggs, chorizo, tomatoes, green onions, and white onions. Allow to warm for 1 minute.
4. Add 1/4 cup more of cheddar, and top with a second tortilla. Using the back of a wide spatula, press the second tortilla down to meld it with the cheese. Flip the quesadilla, and cook for 2-3 more minutes or until cheese is melted.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 with the remaining ingredients to make the second quesadilla.